Monday, June 29, 2009

President Obama

I voted for him. And, if I had it to do over again – I would give him my vote. He seems to be an amazing Father and Husband. And, I am sure he is a pretty cool friend to have.

I hear people talk about how he has ruined our economy - our way of life and our country. I listen to these people’s opinion – and then I quickly realize they were Bush supporters. That or I realize they are prejudice. It’s funny how people quickly forget Bush moving tons of our businesses to Mexico. How Bush attacked a country and tried to fool us into believing we were fighting for 9-11. How about all the men and women we have lost in that war. There is so much blood shed on that mans hands – it’s crazy! But, yet Obama has been blamed for the downfall America has gone through recently. I don’t think it’s fair.

My thought is this – Yes, when Obama got into office the shit hit the fan. Why? Not because this is his fault. It’s because he allowed the people to see all of Bush’s mistakes. He started taking monies that Bush’s government put in place with different programs that were not helping anyone get ahead. And, unfortunately some of that money was being used in programs that held pieces together with scotch tape. The whole bottom was falling out underneath Bush and his government’s feet for a few years. It’s all common sense really if you think about it.
It’s going to take Obama 4 years to clean things up and another 4 years to put things in place. (If he gets a chance) This brings me to another conversation.

DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) This topic means a lot to me as a citizen and voter. I live in Canada with my wife. I am an American and she is Canadian. (I have to quickly Thank Canada for allowing me to become a Permanent Resident and seeing our marriage. If it wasn’t for this she and I would be living separate lives. So, Thank You Canada.)
It makes me sick to my stomach to know that I can not live with her in my home country because of the DOMA act. I planned to apply to get her a green card when I was stopped in my tracks.
I read through the process and I see a section called ‘Gay Marriage’ (note they offered that title in blue bold cause that makes us see clearer!) and I quote: “Can a gay marriage (even in a state where these are legal) be the basis for a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for purposes of immigration? For the purposes of immigration, a marriage’s validity is a question of Federal law, not of State law. In 1996, Congress clarified the Federal law concerning recognition of marriage by enacting the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), Pub. L. No. 104-199, 110 Stat. 2419 (1996). The DOMA contains a statutory definition of "marriage," and of the related term, "spouse." Pursuant to the DOMA, in order for a relationship to qualify as a marriage for purposes of Federal law, one partner must be a man, and the other must be a woman. This definition applies to the construction of any Act of Congress and to any Federal regulation. USCIS must, therefore, administer the Immigration and Nationality Act in light of the DOMA, and cannot recognize the validity of any same sex marriage.”

My blood boils when I read this! Again, where the hell are my Human Rights!

It’s getting harder and harder to remind myself that Obama has only been in office for almost 6 months but, this is the fact and I try not being as hard on him as everyone else has been when it comes to gay rights. I will support him in all his doings because I am an American and that’s what we do for our President. But, with that said I will expect a change in this “law” I demand that the DOMA be repealed!

This is against everything America stands for and it is quite embarrassing that we are known to still judge our own citizens – whether we are gay or straight... Whether we are black or white... Whether we are rich or poor. None of these things matter. We are all Americans and we need to stand together!

No comments:

Post a Comment