Tuesday, July 7, 2009

What the hell – Part 2

This is the second series of my post. I will break down the cost of living verses minimum wage in Ontario, Canada. I have already done the simple Math in my head – before beginning my little research. I plan to focus on The Greater Toronto Area. And I will also be fair about this post and focus even closer on the suburbs - such as Mississauga, Ontario. I am almost 100% sure a single person without any children will have a better chance for a basic life in Mississauga, Ontario rather than Xenia, Ohio. Just for the simple fact that Mississauga offers shared accommodations and high rise buildings.

Minimum wage in Ontario, Canada has gone up, as of tomorrow - From $8.00 an hour to $8.75. First off let me say: The people who complain about this should be ashamed of themselves. If everyone is so worried about the economy why do the gas prices keep increasing, why must we spend $20.00+ for a “value” pack of chicken or $7.00+ for TWO chicken breast -- in the grocery store? Drop the cost of living and balance out the minimum wage. It’s not that hard – use your damn common sense. Canada could be a superpower in the world today - if they would just ease up on their taxes.

Anyways, that's a different story, for a different post.


In Ontario with the rate at $8.75 an hour -- pulling in 40 hours a week. You will gross $350.00 (before taxes). The lowest rent in Mississauga, Ontario I was able to find is $445.00 a month. Luckily that includes all the utilities - but that is also shared accommodations. Heaven forbid that you have children. The lowest amount for a 3 bedroom would cost you a cool $1000 in a not so friendly building! It's so sad really.

Now our basic Math skills. $350.00 a week = $1400.00 a month. (NOT TAXED) With your basic rent at $445.00 - you'll have $955.00 left for the month. Again,(NOT TAXED).
Time for the grocery.
(I myself spend $400.00+ a month at the store - which includes Shampoo, Soap, Toilet paper, food. All the necessities. That amount is also based on a two person family - zero children. We can chop that amount in half to base it on a single person.) This individual will have $755.00 left for their bus pass or gas for the month to get back and forth to work. The bus pass is about $100 a month.

So without all the taxes in Ontario, Canada – a single person could live a basic life in Mississauga making minimum wage. And not missing a days of work. We also have to keep in mind that all the numbers I posted where NOT taxed. So, the $200.00 a month for the necessities will look more like $210.00+. Which again may not seem like much. But, it does add up and what happens if one month this person is sick and doesn't get the full 40 hours a week in? That extra $10+ would help out.

It's really weird to me but in Canada they seem to take off very little personal income taxes at the beginning of the year on their Citizens/Permanent Residents but then quickly begins taking A LOT.

Don't get me wrong I am not opposed to paying taxes. I think it is necessary actually. But, I am against the amount that is being taken. And the amount taxed when I am trying to buy food - what is up with this PST & GST?!. GST makes zero sense to me.

If Ontario would ease up on the everyday taxes that would help balance out their cost of living and help people get ahead instead of people living a basic life or struggling.
The thought of adding children to these numbers make my stomach turn. It’s just awful. See link -- Hungry Families

I feel all that goes back to the cost of living in our communities along with minimum wage. The government needs to take care of our people in each country. Whether it is in Canada or The United States. Both governments work for the people and I think it is high time that our government steps it up!

There has to be a balance with the cost of living. And, I truly feel Canada could figure it out before anyone else can if they try! They have less people to focus on than The United States. They have less debt too.

I hope I will see the day when our governments truly do their jobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment